Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Look Forward

As I sit here trying to process what has occurred in the last 24 hours, I feel dread, but I also feel hope.  Talk about a double edged sword.  I woke up after a horrible night of tossing and turning and you know what?  I was still an American, living in America with a choice to look forward to a brighter future (however long that may take) or to be pissed off and angry.



I choose to look forward.

Here is the thing, we live in a country with a checks and balances system.  The future President cannot simply put things into effect and it is our duty as Americans, to be kind to one another, to be understanding of our difference, to be the difference we want to see in the world.

This man cannot solely control our reactions unless we allow ourselves to be guided in misdirection.  Don't buy into the evil.  Be kind,, be generous, be loving, be a true American.

I do feel like this was more of a battle of sexism than racism.  We elected a black man as President not once, but twice.  It tells me we need to teach our children girls are just as important as boys, just as strong, just as good, just as hardworking, honest, intelligent and they can be anyone they want to be.  Apparently, America was ready to bury racism more than sexism and as a woman that hurts.  That isn't to say racism is gone, it is very much still alive and it is our duty to make sure it is buried, much like sexism.

Here is to hoping we come back stronger than ever.

We are America.

No comments:

Post a Comment