Thursday, November 12, 2015

I Left College

In high school I had big dreams, but I also wanted to take a year off between high school and starting college.  This wasn't a plan my parents were down with.  We struck a bargain, I could live at home rent free as long as I went to school and got a job.  It seemed like a pretty good deal, even if it wasn't what I wanted to do.  I was 18, did I really know what was good for me?  Probably not, but I still feel that not taking a year off between high school and college set the tone for my college experience.

I was accepted to a local university and I was fortunate enough to have my grandmother cover the cost of tuition, which was around $650 per quarter.  I started college immediately as I had already attended in my senior year of high school and I made plenty of friends and adjusted well to college life.  I just needed a break.  I am sure many "adults" understand the feeling, that is why we are given vacation days (if we are lucky).

I was over school, I didn't want to take anymore tests and I wanted to be treated as an adult and be allowed to make my own decisions.  Who am I kidding, I am still not allowed to make my own decisions at almost 30 years old, but that isn't the point of this post.

I was free and I didn't believe in higher education, I believed in work experience and being given the opportunity to learn and grow.  With much hesitation, I registered for classes in the fall and began my journey to higher education.

 Kinesiology seemed like a great field for me.  I had high aspirations of being a sports doctor making big money and working with professional athletes.  It was a major full of baseball players and biology geeks.  It was a good fit because I knew the human body and I understood, I didn't understand what chemistry had to do with any of it.  I left that major in the dust.

Next up was a generic business major followed by communications and all of a sudden I had an epiphany... I didn't need college so much as it was something that was wanted for me.  It was a decision that was made for me.  A choice I didn't have because I was "blessed" with the means to go to college.

College for me was a forced issue, one that I didn't feel deserving of, one that I didn't have to work for, one that was expected of me and I did what any person who wants to break away does... I rebelled and in the end lost my chance at higher education.

The older I get and the more I reflect on it, college isn't a great means to anything for me and I am sure there are plenty of people who feel the same way I do.  Yes I was lucky and landed a great job, but I also worked my ass off to work my way up.  I am also fortunate that my employer believes in education for work and sends me to courses pertaining to my positions.

Most college kids don't have those same opportunities with a degree.  The degree shows they worked their ass off completing units for their diploma but there is no actual workplace training, unless they did an internship and most internships are students who are taken advantage of as personal slaves assistants.  For instance , an accountant may still have to answer the phone and do general invoice application, but I don't think they teach that in an accounting course.

College, while a wonderful opportunity, wasn't for me.  I don't really have any regrets other than not taking that year off.

No comments:

Post a Comment