Thursday, April 30, 2015

Thursty Thursday- Kentucky Derby Style

I don't know about y'all, but there is something so charming and VERY Southern about the Kentucky Derby that I just love.  I enjoy the ponies and would love to attend the Derby someday, but until then I have the classic Mint Julep and Sparkling Mint Julep recipes from you.

There are so many different versions of the Mint Julep but historically the recipe is as follows-
3 ounces Bourbon
2 Sugar Cubes (2 tsp)
3-4 Mint Leaves
High ball glass


Muddle the sugar and mint leaves together, add bourbon and pour over ice in high ball glass... Enjoy.
It is so very simple and I love that I don't have to make simple syrup, which is super easy, but I am super lazy!

Another rendition I came across via Kitchen Is My Playground is the Sparkling Mint Julep.  I have to admit, I am very very sad I didn't previously make this recipe up, because it is that delicious!  I mean who wouldn't love champs with a splash of bourbon and the amazing mint/sugar combo?
3 large mint leave
2 tsp simple syrup (sugar water)
2T bourbon
Chilled Prosecco
Champagne glass

Muddle the mint leaves with simple syrup, add bourbon.  Pour into champagne flute, add Prosecco and garnish with a mint leaf.

Hope y'all enjoy the Derby.  I am ready with my Kern's Kitchen pie, Mint Julep, and big hat.

Remember the number 7 horse!


Hopelessly Ever After

No comments:

Post a Comment