Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Random Acts of Kindness


Random Acts of Kindness (RAK) seem so heart-warming and good for karma and I try to remember to carry mine out.  However, I am also convinced that in doing so will get me bludgeoned to death or pepper-sprayed in some fashion as we do not live in a society that takes kindly to RAKs.  

I am not sure if I have shared this, but I like to make up terrible scenarios in my head.  Most especially with RAKs.  I often envision handing someone a "Have A Nice Day" note card and then having detectives show up at my door because the recipient thought it meant I was part of the mob and they were about to get whacked.  Or helping someone out and being pepper-sprayed.  On one hand it is nice that we are not such a trusting society but on the other, for good old fashion folks it down right sucks.

I have often had people offer to assist me to my car when I have an arm load of packages and every single time I decline their offer.  Not because I think they are being weird, but more because of the fact that I am deathly afraid they will rob me or kidnap me (wait is it still kidnap or should I use the term abduct?) and ask for a ransom my family refuses to pay.  So instead of having someone open my car door for me or carry my packages, I maneuver a balancing act and most times drop everything and look like a helpless woman and end up having people help me anyway.  I guess I really should just take their help from the beginning.

To me the safest way to carry out any type of RAK is the Starbucks drive-thru line.  This way the recipient has no clue and by the time they realize how awesome it is that I paid for their drink, I am long gone.  Although, I have yet to receive anything more than compliments from the baristas, I would like to imagine the free drink gesture makes people so happy that they continue the loop.


What RAKs have you given or received?  Do they scare you like they scare me?



 photo Untitled3.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment