Friday, February 14, 2014

Valentine's Day Massacre (dating diaries #5)

Happy Love Day!

I think we have all had those Valentine's Day (VD) disasters or triumphs that carry over year after year, but sometimes it's nice to just sit back and watch the Hallmark channel that has become reality for a day.  Or maybe that is just me and Bridget Jones.  I have had the worst dates around VD and I have had some of the most ornery men in my life on VD and you know what?  I am thankful.  Thankful because I don't buy into the hoopla surrounding the day.  Or perhaps that is because I have never had a good VD.

Last year, I asked K if he would be my valentine and he responded with something like "I don't know about that, maybe tomorrow."  I wasn't disappointed.  In fact, I was sort of relieved.  Relieved that I didn't have to put thought into a gift that he would most likely find meaningless.  I didn't have to go out to dinner and pretend that our relationship was perfect while other couples ever so slightly watched.  I must have replied with something snarky because the next thing he said was "why can't love be celebrated everyday?"  Here was a guy who had the exact same notion on the commercialization of the day as I had.  I knew I wasn't going to have an awkward encounter with flowers being delivered to my office, that I wasn't going to have figure out the "perfect" outfit and I was just going to be able to go home and be normal on a day that so many other couples were promising love and devotion.  (I actually spent the day at the dentist and the doctor's office so I was happy to go home and drink my wine while watching Jeopardy!)

A few years ago, I was sent flowers the Friday before VD and it was awful.  I got all clammy and red and pretty much died of embarrassment on the spot.  They were pretty flowers, but the problem was the guy hadn't even taken me on a date yet... that to me shouts that it is too soon to send flowers.  It made me wonder what he compensating for (I am a suspicious person by defect).  Of course I thought it was a sweet gesture, but that was a fleeting thought.  He went on to ruin my VD by "taking me out" aka tagging along and telling me he had a birthday party to attend, but we could "totally hang out afterward".    He thoroughly pissed me off to the point that I sat in a local bar with my best guy friend counting how many Patron shots followed by O'Douls the Axl Rose impostor was going to down before committing himself to a karaoke version of "November Rain". (It was about 5 shots of Patron at which point he fell off of his bar stool and there was no GNR instead he serenaded the bar with Neil Diamond.)

Come to think of it, those are really the only two VD experiences I have had and neither one really panned out all that well.  I hope everyone has a Happy Valentine's Day while I am out with my two favorite Valentines.
 
The perks of being the auntie that takes them to Disneyland!

What is the worst Valentine's Day you've ever had?

Helene in Between

 photo Untitled3.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment