Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Coffee... A Love Affair


My love affair with coffee began as a child... I was probably 8 or 9, I can't really remember, but what I do remember is coming home from elementary school and pouring myself a mug of my mom's left over coffee and nuking it in the microwave.  I would dump an endless amount of sugar and milk (it was before creamer and if it wasn't, my parents weren't buying that sweet elixir.)  into it and settle on the couch to watch the after school reruns of "Saved By The Bell" (it was also the 90's).


As I got older my relationship with coffee was strengthened through Starbucks popping up on every corner.  I was the girl that took travel mugs of coffee with me to high school and into college.  If you ever saw me between the hours of 7 a.m. and 10 a.m. you can guarantee you saw my travel mug or even the familiar white 'bucks cup in my hand.  Coffee has fueled me through late night study sessions to early morning adventures and vice versa.


 At 19 I went to work for a financial institution and it was there that my love for coffee became an obsession.  There were constantly two pots of coffee brewing and numerous types of creamers in the fridge.  Each week we would put money in to buy the most delicious looking jogs of creamer.  I kid you not when I say I was a pot and a half of coffee a day girl.  It was insanity.  


After I left and started my new job I almost had a mental breakdown when I headed to the break room and discovered that not one single person in my office drank coffee...  No more wonderful cups of magic-ness in the middle of a crappy day.  No more walking around with my mug, no more afternoon pick me ups.  This was the hardest adjustment I had to adult life... That coffee wasn't an all day every day thing.

Most mornings I can no longer function on less than a cup and definitely cannot function on more than three cups.  I now know my lack of sleep was from late afternoons of coffee consumption.  So while I have cut back on you coffee, just remember I still turn to you to make me a functioning morning person at work.  Please don't ever leave me.

No comments:

Post a Comment