Sunday, April 27, 2014

"Give Me Back My Hometown"



In the words of Eric Church:
Damn, I used to love this view
Sit here and drink a few
Main street and the high school lit up on Friday night
Down there it's another touchdown
Man, this year's team is stout
I can hear them goin' crazy
And up here so am I
Thinkin' about you sittin' there sayin' I hate this, I hate it
If you couldn't stand livin' here why'd you take it, take it
Give me back my hometown
'Cause this is my hometown


The above song seemed relevant, other than the fact that it's about lost love, to the city-fied folks trying to make my hometown part of corporate America.

The sad part is that over-population is ruining small towns across America.  Poverty stricken families sink lower, while wealthy families are able to lounge on higher piles of cash.  When will enough be enough?  When will the voices of the "little" people be heard?  

When can we have our hometowns back?

Last week I talked about the accountability needed (if you missed it, you can read it here) by residents in order to bring that accountability to the masses, most especially the big wigs.

I fully understand that as areas grow so do the issues and in turn more law enforcement and crowd control is needed.  However, I live in a place that used to literally SHUT DOWN for the 4th of July festivities.  Now days, cars can zip right by a family walking as the streets are no longer allowed to be closed.  The reason?  Too many complaints from newer residents about not being able to get to the post office or bank (both of which are closed for the festivities).  Here is what I have to say you , "MOVE if you don't want to participate in the our small town charm."  

I know first hand the difficulties that come with planning the Jamboree Days festival as I worked with the Chamber of Commerce for a time.  But I will say this "where there is a will, there is always a way."  There will always be a way to take back our hometowns but the question is, who has the balls to get out there and get people concerned about the slow elimination of small town charm?  Who has the audacity to stare down the self elected officials who get their palms greased by using back door deals?  Who is going to stage a march or protest or boycott?  

Unfortunately when it comes to boycotting in a small town, the entire town is affected, but isn't that the point?  People can sit back and talk a big game, but the truth of the matter is when it comes to getting what you want, if you don't have the money to pay for it, you have no other choice but to play down and dirty.  It's a full time job and one that needs more than a sole renegade standing up to the masses.

Who is willing to step outside, away from the computer and social media and make a stand?


 photo 2af5a650-c916-47a4-ab47-49116f0dc332.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment