Thursday, April 10, 2014

Mimi is here with "Unsung Hero"

Good Morning Sunshines!

Today I have Mime guest posting.  She is an elementary school teacher with a teenage son.  It is hard for me to believe that her son is 19 as it feels like just yesterday he was in my boys hip hop dance class.  Except for the fact that was approximately 9 years ago.  Where the heck does time go?!?!  I really hope you enjoy her post.  I am sure I am enjoying myself!
 photo 2af5a650-c916-47a4-ab47-49116f0dc332.jpg




My son pissed me off the other day…why you ask? His Facebook status…and I quote, “ I do the same thing every day.” What the hell is that supposed to mean? His explanation, when someone commented was this, “I still have strict parameters which I must exist within lest my existence and survival be thrown several leagues backwards. My spirit is bottled on a shelf and only occasionally does it leak through the seal. Most of the time I'm a physical body moving through space repeating things I already know. I wish I could be me, but it isn't happening right now for whatever reason.”

I blew it off as teenage angst…A little background…he is nineteen and has just completed his associate of science in commercial music. He started college when he was sixteen…He is brilliant, edgy…Back to this tale. So, a week after the fact, I blew a zen-like gasket. WTH, where does he get off saying this is my thought. I had come home after a night out…driving home that morning he called, wondering what time I was coming home. I said, “ On my way. Oh, and did you wash the dishes like I asked?” “Yes, Mom.” Fast forward to entering the house, where, surprise-surprise, he is washing dishes…Whatever, it was getting done, but the look on his face said it all. Now, up to this point, I hadn’t said a word, but that was about to change. “Oh, hey, by the way, I do the same thing everyday. Monday through Friday I wake up at 5:30. I go downstairs and feed the cat. I take a shower. I get ready for work. I go to work. I come home, do some chores, etc. Guess what, when you become an adult…you basically do the same thing every day. It’s what you do within that day that makes a difference. It’s seeing the opportunities, the ability to make connections, the beauty all around us. It’s your choice of what you choose to do and how you choose to think.”

As these things always do, I came across a commercial-done by a Thai life insurance company. It really touches upon what I told my son. You can be your authentic self while living within the parameters of your day to day life…it’s all in what you choose to do within that day and how it touches others…and yourself…

No comments:

Post a Comment